D1A Celebrates National Correctional Officer and Employee Appreciation Week
May 2, 2022
WASHINGTON – Today, Day 1 Alliance, the trade association representing private sector contractors working in the criminal justice and immigration systems, celebrate National Correctional Officer and Employee Appreciation Week, highlighting the talented men and women employed by D1A member companies.
Day 1 Alliance member companies – CoreCivic, The GEO Group, MTC, and LaSalle Corrections – have highly diverse workforces. A few data points on the four companies’ employees – which together number over 30,000 – illustrate this point:
- Women make up more than half of D1A member company employees, with even higher percentages among new hires in 2021.
- The majority of D1A member company employees are racial and ethnic minorities.
- Military veterans make up approximately 10% of D1A member company employees – a higher percentage than the general U.S. population.
Notable statistics highlighting D1A member companies’ workforces:
- CoreCivic is made up of approximately 10,000 dedicated and trained employees that provide comprehensive services, ranging from health services and mental health professionals to case managers and security personnel. Staff also partake in pre-service and on-the-job training, as well as being provided with professional and leadership development opportunities.
- The majority of CoreCivic employees are made up of minority racial and ethnic demographics. In fact, the majority of new hires and promotions in the first half of 2021 were made up of employees who identify as nonwhite. The majority of employees hired in 2021 were women and under-represented communities.
- CoreCivic is also a veteran-friendly employer. In 2021, one in ten new employees were veterans, a higher percentage than that found in the country. CoreCivic was recognized by GI Jobs as a Military Friendly Employer for the 11th consecutive year, earning Bronze Level status for the very first time. They have also been recognized as a Top 10 Military Friendly Diversity Supplier, earning Gold Level status, and for the first time, were recognized as a Military Friendly Spouse Employer.
The GEO Group
- Of GEO Group’s 17,500 U.S. employees, 51% are female. Women account for 57% of GEO’s corporate employees, 41% of facility security staff, and 29% of those serving in management positions as directors and above. Among the new hires made by GEO Group in 2020, 53% were women.
- Under-represented minorities of the United States – including African Americans, Hispanic and Latino, Asian, Pacific Islander, Native Hawaiian and Native American/Alaskan – currently account for 61% of GEO Group’s U.S. employees. Minorities comprise 39% of GEO’s corporate workforce in the U.S., 69% of facility security staff, and 27% of those serving in management positions as directors or above.
- Nine in ten GEO Group employees are recruited from the local communities they serve.
- Veterans make up 10% of GEO Group’s workforce. GEO Group has repeatedly been cited by U.S. Veterans Magazine among its “Top Veteran Friendly Companies” and was recognized in the Fall 2020 issue as one of the “Best of the Best 2020” Top Veteran Friendly Companies. On a quarterly basis, GEO also recognizes our veteran workforce by selecting a Veteran of the Quarter.
- Management and Training Corporation (MTC), which is made up of nearly 9,000 employees, is committed to diversity and equal opportunity in the workplace.
- Over 60% of MTC staff are non-white; 55% of MTC staff are women.
- 80% of MTC’s detention facility administrators are Hispanic, and 42% of MTC Wardens are non-white.
- The diversity of MTC’s staff extends to leadership, as 40% of MTC’s board of directors are non-white.
The Day 1 Alliance issued the following statement from National Spokesperson Alexandra Wilkes on National Correctional Officer and Employee Appreciation Week:
“National Correctional Officer and Employee Appreciation Week is a reminder of the skill and dedication of the tens of thousands of Americans who serve daily in our nation’s prisons, community corrections, and immigration systems. We are very proud of the incredible diversity of our member companies’ workforces, which truly represent the communities they serve.
“To all of the corrections officers, expert counselors, social workers, educators, staff, and other public safety employees across the country, we say ‘thank you.’”
About the Day 1 Alliance:
The Day 1 Alliance (D1A) is a trade association representing private sector contractors helping government agencies address corrections and detention challenges in the United States. For more than 35 years, D1A members have worked with local, state, and federal governments led by members of both political parties to provide professional, humane, and respectful treatment to incarcerated and detained individuals. From day one, we understand we have a responsibility to provide safe and dignified care to those in our facilities. D1A members do not lobby for or against policies, regulations, or legislation that impact the basis for or duration of an individual’s incarceration or detention.
The members of the Day 1 Alliance are CoreCivic, The GEO Group, Management & Training Corporation, and LaSalle Corrections.